Located in eastern Cumberland County, Camp Hill is an historic borough, tucked on the West Shore of the Susquehanna River, three miles from downtown Harrisburg. Residents enjoy three public parks, and location just a short distance from hiking, biking, skiing and canoeing in Cumberland County.
Prior to the Civil War, the community was known locally as White Hill, a designation that served as a stop along the Cumberland Valley Railroad between Harrisburg and Carlisle. It is believed the name “Camp Hill” came about from a split in the congregation of a Peace Church when one faction of the church began meeting outdoors on a hill.
The borough was incorporated on November 10, 1885 from East Pennsboro Township. Today, the area is home to an array of corporations, nonprofit organizations, and religious institutions, among them Holy Spirit Hospital which provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services. These includes a regional network of six family health centers, one internal medicine office, a pediatric practice and two women’s health centers. In In 2003, the hospital opened the Ortenzio Heart Center, a four-story facility located adjacent to the hospital which specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of heart problems.
Residents of Camp Hill enjoy a variety of community events—Memorial Day and summer activities, a bunny “eggstrvaganza,” kite festival, Halloween parade, Toys for Tots parade and more.